Approval/Adoption date: 19 December 2016 (see voting details - Meeting December 2016 conference call minutes for details)
Next revision date: December 2018 (or earlier if necessary)
This document is adapted from the DEFAULT HL7 International decision-making practices (DMP) for Health Level Seven Australia (HL7 Australia) Medication Work Group (WG).
The HL7 Australia Medication WG will adhere to a set of decision-making practices that ensure consensus, openness, and balance of interest.
The practices as outlined in this document are designed to enable timely decision-making balanced with an earnest attempt to ensure that input from all affected parties is considered. The decision-making practices are intended to govern the standard operating procedures of HL7 Australia WGs and Committees and not intended to conflict with rules governing ballot procedure as defined by the HL7 Australia Charter, Governance Framework and Operations Manual (GOM).
- The purpose of these WG meetings and calls is to transact business including the resolution of design and implementation issues related to the WG’s area of responsibility and to make decisions relevant to WG business
- WG meetings including conference calls are open to all interested parties.
- Meetings of the WG are open to everyone to ensure that viewpoints of all affected parties have an opportunity to be shared and considered. Everyone will be given an opportunity to speak; however, the chair may limit discussion on topics deemed to be non-constructive and out of scope
- Certain HL7 Australia members (e.g. certain domain experts) may be asked to attend to provide specific input regarding a particular issue
- Guests (non HL7 Australia members) are welcome to participate in the WG and are recognized as guests of HL7 Australia
- In keeping with the policy on openness, Guests may participate on all matters related to the development of HL7 Australia specifications
- Medication WG conference calls are conducted once monthly (last Monday of each month). Additional call(s) may be scheduled as required. Conference call details (web sharing and audio details) are published on the Medication WG landing Confluence page.
- All members and interested parties may attend Medication WG conference calls. All meeting announcements, minutes, and other notices will be sent to the list and posted to the WG areas on the HL7 Australia Confluence web page. Therefore anyone expecting to participate is encouraged to join via the WG Confluence page so that the WG can communicate with them
- Persons not registered through the Medication WG confluence page may still attend. Details of the meeting can be accessed through this confluence page: http://confluence.hl7australia.com/display/MED
Medication WG will hold Face-to-Face meetings as per scheduled by HL7 Australia
- Draft meeting agenda are posted on Medication WG meetings confluence page.
- Agenda for each meeting is posted one week before each conference call/meeting.
- The co-chairs of the WG shall make every attempt to ensure agenda addresses interests of stakeholders, and that all parties with an interest in agenda topics are made aware of the meeting time and location subject to the documented notification requirements
- Minutes will be produced and published for all WG meeting sessions and conference calls achieving quorum
- Where quorum is not achieved, the production of minutes is at the discretion of the presiding co-chair
- The presiding co-chair of the meeting is responsible for ensuring that minutes are taken and posted
- Minutes shall include, at a minimum, the following information:
- Date, time and location (where appropriate/necessary) of the session/call
- List of attendees including names and organizations
- Identification of presiding chair (if the presiding chair changes during meeting this should be noted in the minutes)
- Assertion of quorum (met or not met)
- A summary of discussion topics and the outcome of proposals or motions made (including vote tallies if votes were taken)
- Minutes shall be published on the WG Confluence webpage
- Minutes from a WGM shall be posted 2 weeks after the WGM; minutes from a conference call will be posted within one week following the call
Electronic Recording of Meetings
- The WG may decide that they wish to electronically record a session, conference call or WG event including audio or video recordings
- Electronic recordings will not replace the minutes or the requirements for minutes as defined in the Meeting Minutes subsection above
- Prior to starting any electronic recording, the chair will seek approval from all attendees for the recording to occur and will note the acceptance by all attendees in the meeting minutes
- With the approval of the WG to proceed with any electronic recording, the chair will explain the method and purpose of the recording and how the recording will be used and made available
- Chair + 3 other participants (approved at September 2016 Workgroup conference call - Meeting September 2016 )
- A motion may be made, by any participant, to defer major decisions even if quorum is met, particularly if key stakeholders are not present
Any issue may be discussed at any time.
- Binding actions cannot be taken without sufficient notification (Note - need to decide how much notification time is required - 7 days? 30 days?) and quorum (presiding chair + 3).
- Absence of either of these conditions allows the WG or committee to issue recommendations that must subsequently be ratified by the WG or committee subject to satisfying constraints placed upon binding decisions
- A binding decision refers to any decision made by the WG or committee that establishes a practice, formal recommendation, or formal action by the WG or committee (e.g., creating a new program, rendering guidance, etc.)
The presiding chair may cast a vote in only two circumstances:
- The presiding chair may cast a tie-breaking vote.
- The presiding chair may vote when that vote corrects potential preponderance of influence concerns within the WG or committee
No co-chair should preside over discussions or vote for which they could reasonably be perceived to have a vested interest
Decision Threshold Requirements
The WG will strive for consensus in decision-making; however, decisions of the WG are affirmed by simple majority
While decisions are affirmed by simple majority, the WG shall endeavor to make its decisions via a consensus process
- To be called a consensus decision, it must receive two-thirds (66%) majority support
Where a consensus decision is not reached the WG shall agree on a course of action to be followed in order that sufficient information to achieve consensus may be gathered
Revisiting previously made decisions inhibits progress and should be discouraged
However, circumstances might exist that warrant re-opening discussion on a previously resolved issue
- Re-opening requires:
- Advance notification (Note - need to determine how much time is required???)
- A formal motion, second, and two-thirds (66%) majority affirmative vote subject to the quorum rules in this document
- Re-opening requires:
The workgroup may decide that some matters may need to be decided by electronic voting
Electronic voting will be announced via (Note - decide on the announcement channel)
Electronic votes will be held open for a minimum period of 1 week but may be longer. The voting period will be defined in the announcement of opening the e-vote
- Quorum for electronic voting will be set at 90% of the number of attendees at the last session or call in which quorum was achieved
- If quorum has not been achieved at the end of the announced voting period, the vote will be closed as unsuccessful due to lack of quorum
Electronic votes are decided by simple majority of the affirmatives and negatives
Will defer until such a time that proxy participation is required/important.